Saturday, March 19, 2011

An afternoon in the garden

Though scattered, dark gray clouds threatened rain, I enjoyed an afternoon of sun bursts instead of cloud bursts as I worked in the garden today.

Today's projects

Pea trellises: The peas are starting to peek out of the soil in the troughs along the driveway.

Before long they will be ready to climb, so I took advantage of the sunshine and built their trellises from chickenwire and plastic coated metal poles.

Along the east facing wall to the house I planted old fashioned sweet peas which are known for their fragrance and bright colored blooms. And in each trough I did two rows of trellises, one for each row of peas.



















Beyond peas, radishes, lettuce and spinach are also already up. Carrots shouldn't be far behind...

More planting ...

In the west side raised bed I planted Statissa fava beans and Lacinto kale seeds to the bed which already has garlic (pictured), shallots and broad windsor fava beans.

The spring garden now only needs broccoli, spinach and Asian cabbage to be planted.




















Indoors, I re-used some plastic tubs that originally had store bought greens in them to make three mini greenhouses for 2 types of bunching onions, leeks and cipolini onions. The green houses are now located in our kitchen's bump out window.

Let the growing begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment