Sunday, April 10, 2011

Field Trip to the Hardy Plant Society of Oregon's Spring Sale

It was cold and blustery today so a field trip to the Hardy Plant Society of Oregon's spring plant sale was a welcomed escape.

My neighbor Andrea and I made the trek out to the Portland Expo Center from inner NE Portland and entered the large hall with the intention to mostly look, not buy, plants.

I even came with a notepad and camera ready to do "research." But, half way through aisle two both of our resistance broke down - mine for a Aloe Dorotheae and Andrea's for a fabulous white Agapantha.

After that, it was open season.

Along with the aloe I picked up a trio of succulents. (I have a bit of a succulent addiction, so I felt pretty restrained in my decision to just get four plants.)

The succulents will live in the kitchen window sill until it gets a bit warmer outdoors. Then I will place them as accents through out the garden for the summer.

I also got two hellebores - one Helleborus foetidus 'Gold Bullion' from Dancing Oaks Nursery which they describe as "uncommon eye candy for the woodland" and another almost black helebore (pictured left and right respectively). I think they will compliment the assortment I currently have planted on the north side of the house.

I read about the American Umbrella Plant (Diphylleia Cymosa) the other day. Beyond having fabulous foliage, it apparently has small white flowers that are followed by small blue berries - how cool! I plan to tuck somewhere in the back garden either in the same bed as the hellebores or under the camellia just to the west.

Finally, I picked up a Lady Tulip (Tulipa clusiana var. chrysantha) which will naturalize if happy - I hope I get the placement right - and Euphorbia griffithii 'Fireglow' which I first heard of about two years ago.

In the end, I walked away with a total of nine plants. VERY restrained.

1 comment: